Leche Flan (Using pure egg yolks)

Leche flan is a delicious Filipino dessert that resembles Creme Brulee. And in Spain, people call this dessert Spanish Flan.
There are different ways of cooking Leche flan. In Filipino homes, steaming is just a traditional way of making it, and also, not everyone has an oven, so steaming is the most convenient way to do it.

Filipinos usually serve Leche Flan during fiestas, Christmas, birthdays, etc. I remember my mother used to make dozen of Leche flan. She taught me how to make this dessert at a very young age, about 9 or so. And every time I make Leche flan, I always remember what my mom taught me – DON’T BEAT THE LECHE FLAN MIXTURE FAST AND MIX IT ONLY IN ONE DIRECTION, so it will not create bubbles.


Here are the things needed to make our Leche Flan:
  • bowl
  • wire whisk
  • strainer or cheesecloth
  • egg white and yolk separator (optional)
  • llanera or anything that is used for baking cakes
  • aluminum foil for covering the flan
  • toothpick or table knife
  • Steamer or oven

The secret to a Smooth and Creamy Leche Flan
  • Use a strainer or cheesecloth to collect the little bits of egg yolk to ensure the mixture is as smooth as it can be.
  • Baking Leche flan in a water bath is the best way. I tried it once, and it worked perfectly, so from then on, I used this technique whenever I made Leche flan.

I hope you will try this Leche flan recipe and will like it. 

If you try this recipe, please rate it and comment below. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube to see what I am getting up to.

You will need:

For the custard
  • 10 egg yolks
  • 1 can of condensed milk
  • 1 can evaporate milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp lime or calamansi zest (optional)
For the caramel
  • 10 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup hot water
Procedure (video):

Making the caramel
  1. In a small saucepan, heat sugar and water on medium heat. Occasionally stir the mixture until it caramelizes. Take care not to burn the sugar as it will give a bitter taste to your flan.
  2. Once done, immediately coat the bottom of the llanera pan or cake pan with caramelized sugar. Set aside and wait for the caramel to be hardened.
Making the custard
  1. Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees Celcius.
  2. In a medium bowl, separate egg yolk from egg whites. In the bowl of egg yolk and slowly whisk them. Now, slowly add condensed milk, evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and lime zest (if using). Whisk ingredients together slowly until all ingredients are well blended. Don’t whisk too fast to prevent creating bubbles. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into another bowl. I strain my flan mixture 3 times.
  3. Now, slowly pour the flan mixture into each prepared llanera. This recipe can make 3 regular-sized llanera. Tap the mold several times on the top of a table to eliminate the bubbles. Cover each llanera with aluminum foil.
  4. Carefully place Leche flan llanera into a deep dish baking pan filled with boiling water to create a steam bath for the Leche flan. Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  5. Let the Leche flans cool down and place them in the fridge to chill. Once Leche flan has cooled, use a butter knife to loosen the edges. Next, place a plate on top of the llanera, then flip it, tap the top of the llanera and slowly start to lift, allowing the caramel glaze to coat the Leche flan.
Notes:
  • Use a strainer or cheesecloth to collect the little bits of egg yolk to ensure the mixture is as smooth as it can be.
  • Baking Leche flan in a water bath is the best way. I tried it once, and it worked perfectly, so from then on, I used this technique whenever I made Leche flan.
  • I usually don’t remove the flan to llanera when putting it inside the fridge and when I am ready to eat or serve this, that’s the time I transfer it to a plate.


Comments

Popular Posts